Director Trade Compliance
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Job Type: Direct Hire
The Director of Trade Compliance reports to the Deputy General Counsel of the
Medical device Platform and is responsible for developing, executing, and
managing all aspects of the Platform compliance program across all OpCos on a
global level, including import, export, customs valuation, country of origin
analysis, HTS classification, trade compliance training, Free Trade Agreement
utilization, Denied Party screening, compliance FDA and international equivalent
regulations as they relate to trade compliance, and self-audit and testing for
compliance with all of the above. This position works with the client and
Medical device Platform leaders across many functions to drive trade compliance
initiatives and execute strategic direction and global management of all aspects
of Platform’s trade compliance program.
Responsibilities also include managing the Platform trade compliance team,
advising general managers and senior staff about trade compliance matters,
providing trade compliance oversight to all activities at OpCos sites around the
world, working collaboratively with all site departments to ensure they have
implemented effective compliance internal controls into their procedures and
work instructions, providing trade compliance training, and reviewing and
approving export/import license or permit applications.
- Ensures that Platforms OpCo’s are compliant with domestic and foreign
export and import requirements.
- Develops and deploys Trade Compliance program and procedures on import
and export regulatory compliance.
- Ensures legal compliance to trade laws and regulations, including
appropriate licensing for shipments.
- Manage a global team of trade compliance professionals.
- Indirect management/training and counseling of plant associates who
manage trade compliance at Platform locations as part, but not all, of their
- Serves as the resident expert on U.S., EU and other international
- Advises on impact of FDA and international equivalent regulations as
they relate to the import and export of medical device products.
- Ensures OpCo’s policies conform to Corporate Import and Export Policies.
- Manages self-testing of Platform’s OpCo’s export/import compliance
- Analyzes and interprets requirements for compliance as they relate
to: ?Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the U.S. Department of
Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS); U.S. Treasury Office of
Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); International Traffic and Arms Regulations
(ITAR) of the U.S. Department of State; EU, U.S. Customs and other
applicable Government Agency rules and regulations. FDA and international
- Implements and updates training on government laws and regulations, as
well as internal trade compliance policies and procedures, to existing
associates and new hires.
- Reviews, responds to, and escalates as necessary all government
inquiries related to trade compliance.
- Manages internal and external audits and disclosures.
- Provides consultation to business units, global subsidiaries, sales,
procurement, project managers, order management, etc. and resolves matters
pertaining to export/import transactions and International Trade Sanctions
to ensure compliance with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations, as well
as local country laws.
- Oversees and provides guidance to the trade compliance team in their
day-to-day compliance matters which are not limited to but include customer
and transaction screening, ECCN classification, end-use/user restrictions,
sanctions, export license determination and drafting license applications,
and escalation matters.
- Develops policies, programs and procedures and provides guidance to the
Platform in the day-to-day trade compliance matters including HTS
classification, valuation, and product qualification for preferential duty
treatment under FTAs, customs broker management, antidumping/countervailing
duties, and export compliance matters.
- Develop and maintain Import and Export Standard Operating Procedures
(SOP’s) based on applicable governmental regulation. Advise plant import and
export compliance associates on how to handle FDA holds and communicates FDA
holds and releases to stockroom.
- Develops and executes effective management and screening of customs
- Ensure compliance with Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Bureau of
Industry and Security (BIS), and other government agency rules and
regulations. Review and audits documentation submitted to CBP for accuracy
and comprehensiveness. Makes corrections as necessary and notifies
- Consults with inside and outside counsel as needed.
- BS or BA degree and a minimum of 10 years import/export
administration and 2 – 3 years of international supervisory experience.
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. import and export control laws and
regulations as they relate to: ?Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of
the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), ?U.S.
Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), ?International Traffic and
Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Knowledge of FDA and similar international regulations governing the
import and export of medical device products.
- Knowledge of EU and other international export/import requirements.
- Extensive understanding of applicable export, re-export and deemed
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Applications, Word, Access, Excel, Outlook,
- Excellent verbal and communication and oral presentation skills.
- High accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to influence and communicate across the company and with
persons at all levels of the organization.
- Critical thinking and excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing with excellent time management
- Ability to handle confidential information frequently and appropriately.
- Capable of working independently and collaboratively plus experienced
and competent in making good judgment calls.
- Excellent presentation and report writing skills.
- Fluent in English in both written and oral communication, additional
language skills a plus.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally approximately 30%.
Gateway Recruiting, INC – www.GatewayRecruiting.com –
Remember to mention you found this listing at www.leaphart.com/JobOpenings.php