Manager Trade Compliance
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary: $100,000 - $125,000
Job Type: Direct Hire
Overview the Global Trade Compliance team is responsible to support all
business functions related to cross-border transactions. Responsibilities of the
Global Trade Compliance Office (GTCO) is looking for a candidate to join our
team as a regional leader of trade compliance in the Americas (North America and
Latin America Region). Located in the US, TCM manages trade compliance processes
among the various company organizations operating in the region and globally, on
certain projects. The position reports to Director of Global Trade Compliance,
in the Greater Chicago area, the global headquarters. The GTCO is a part of our
company Ethics and Compliance Team, reporting into the Chief Compliance Office
and VP, Assistant General Counsel.
- Leading development and implementation of strategic trade programs for
the countries in the Americas; for establishing and defining Customs
clearance capabilities for current business units; for maintaining an
informed and supportive relationship with Customs and export control
government agencies; for managing and resolving all trade law issues.
- The TCM keeps abreast of, develops, collects, and communicates
countriesí import and export laws, as well as import processes, to the
Global Trade Compliance team; Develops the regional team of Specialists and
- Responsible for ensuring that company articles and various programs are
compliant with the local and international standards and laws
- Develops export and import compliance manuals, practices, and audit
- The best candidate for this position is a problem-solver, a
collaborative thinker, a business-minded compliance professional, as well as
a regional trade policy and process leader, experienced in managing a team
of trade professionals and in developing supportive relationships with all
business units, such as, sales and marketing; engineering; Supply Chain,
Services, Tax, Legal, etc.
- Policies, Procedures, Processes (Creation & Implementation)
- Implements and promotes global trade compliance strategy engendered by
the leaders of the GTCO.
- Responsible for keeping all country or region-specific procedures and
- Where specifically required, develops and implements export licensing
- Systems & Product Database Management / Trade Data Management (e.g.,
HTS, ECCN, COO)
- Manages the systems within the scope of responsibility assigned to the
country or region by the GTCO's senior leadership.
- Regulatory Updates & Guidance to Various Internal & External
- Issues guidance to the specific functions within Zebra relevant to
export and import legal implications in the country or region.
- Coordinates a draft and issuance of the announcements re specific
policies and procedures.
- Customs Broker Selection & Management.
- Selects and manages Customs Brokers and other suppliers.
- Supports Senior Manager and Director with various tasks related to
import and export processes, including Customs Broker management,
documentation review, commodity classifications.
- Clearance / Processes / Export Controls (Export, Import or Both).
- Serves as an escalation point for support and professional staff on the
issues related to export controls requirements and determinations.
- Interprets contract terms/conditions for export/import implications.
- Supports develops of standard clauses to be included in Zebra's
contracts, as well as development of other standard documents.
- In conjunction with the senior management of the GTCO, coordinates
changes to the standard documentation of companyís import and export
- Ultimately is responsible for proper recordkeeping of procedures and
- Responsible for all records availability upon demand.
- Trade Compliance Audits & Investigations
- Conducts complex audits independently.
- Regularly provides risk assessment, reports, and practical
recommendations to the senior managers of the GTCO.
- Audits not only the GTCO's adherence to the internal processes but also
other functions' conformity with trade laws and regulations in various
- Training (Internal & External)
- Advises functional groups of import and export regulations. Focuses on
resolving various issues that fall outside of the routine issues.
- Maintains Customs required or recommended security programs.
- Communication with the Government
- Selects Customs Brokers for import clearances or helps Senior Manager
with regional RFPs for Customs Brokers;
- Signs off on Customs Broker SOPs Qualifications
- JD or Masterís degree and an advanced degree in Business, Finance,
Communication, Data Management)or an undergraduate degree with at least a
5-year work experience in international trade law consulting at one of the
Big 5 firms.
- Required: 8 years of experience in international trade compliance with
at least two (2) years of commodity classification (export or import)
- Minimum 2 years of direct or indirect staff management.
- HIGHLY preferred bilingual in Spanish
- Working knowledge of the export controls, particularly, in Category 5 of
the Commodity Control List (CCL) is preferred with at least 1 year of
working with encryptions export control commodity classification.
- Export license application experience (including commodity
classification determinations, Commodity Jurisdiction, sanctions work, etc.)
- Project Management experience is required.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word and Excel is required.
- Excellent writing skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Deep knowledge of trade law and regulations are required.
- Solid knowledge of finance or accounting is preferred.
Remember to mention you found this listing at www.leaphart.com/JobOpenings.php