Director of Global Trade & Compliance
Location: San Jose, CA
Are you a compliance expert who also has the people skills needed to make
things work in a fast-paced, global environment? We are looking for the Director
of Global Trade & Compliance, who will help ensure that our client ships and
receives product in adherence with all laws and regulations worldwide. This
person will oversee all aspects of the company’s global trade initiatives.
They’ll also work closely with the sales department and other peers to help
balance risks and keep global logistics processes in line with the company’s
This is a full-time salaried position located in the San Jose, California
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the company’s trade compliance program, which includes
export/import classifications, licensing determinations, denied party
screenings and sanctions programs, identifying deemed exports and more.
- Ensure that all shipments conform to U.S. Governmental and foreign
- Oversee the review and approval of all commercial invoices,
license applications, and any other paperwork required for international
- Evaluate and enhance the company’s global trade compliance
procedures to align with business objectives.
- Responsible for the correct classification, usage and reporting of
Export Control Classification Numbers (ECCNs), tariff codes (HTSUS), Country
of Origin information, and Free Trade Agreements.
- Interface with other business functions to ensure documentation is
accurate and maintained.
- Manage the filing of applicable reports with U.S. Government
(Automated Commerce Environment (ACE)/Automated Export System (AES), et. al)
and foreign jurisdictions.
- Oversee the required record retention of documents to ensure
recordkeeping and reporting requirements are maintained in accordance with
the U.S. regulations and are also in a manner whereby audits are completed
quickly and without material issues.
- Monitor the conduct of business activities for adherence to
import/export procedures throughout the business, including early-stage
review of new products and classification of commodities through final
delivery to customer.
- Conduct periodic compliance gap assessments and audits to identify
issues; works with management to implement corrective actions.
- Partner with Sales and Engineering departments to structure global
transactions to ensure adherence with U.S. import/export laws and
regulations, as well as laws/regulations of foreign jurisdictions.
- Team player who can respond in a timely manner to questions from
Sales and Engineering departments related to international transactions.
- Train business functions with regard to U.S. import/export
regulations, as well as international logistics and processes.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to ensure that transactions
are appropriately described in contracts.
- Work with attorneys and trade compliance consultants to assist in
overall maintenance of the company’s compliance program.
- Take a proactive, leadership role in driving change and process
improvement throughout the organization.
- Supervise team to support initiatives above
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in international trade or another
- 10+ years of international trade experience
- Licensed U.S. Customs Broker is a plus, but not necessary
- Law degree is a plus, but not necessary
- Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States
- Core Competencies and Skills:
- We are looking for an expert. To succeed in this role, you must
have practical experience working in the regulations, policies, and laws
affecting international trade, including those related to technology,
dangerous goods, currency, environmental concerns, Incoterms 2010, taxes and
security, among other issues.
- We are looking for a problem solver. Ideal candidates will have
strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They will possess excellent
written and verbal communication skills.
- We are looking for a leader. To succeed in this role, you will
need proven ability to interface professionally with all levels and
functions of the organization, as well as customers. The ideal candidate
will have a strong track record of proactive leadership.
- We need a team player. Can you “win” people to your side? Can you
demonstrate leadership and foster a team spirit that makes departments want
to work with you (instead of against you)? Are you willing to do whatever it
takes to help the company stay compliant and succeed? If so, we want to talk
- Candidates must have exceptional customer service skills.
- You must be able to exercise discretion and maintain
- The ideal candidate will be able to work under minimal or no
Contact Information to Applybr />
Qualified applicants must send a current resume to Gail Seago, Human Resources
Human Resources Manager
Export Solutions, Inc.
Trade Compliance Specialists
Remember to mention you found this listing at www.leaphart.com/JobOpenings.php